Women are boycotting Twitter on Friday to protest how the social media site doesn’t protect them from abuse. It all started with this tweet from@justkelly_ok.
others wayed in.
Kelly Ellis (@justkelly_ok) October 12, 2017
Tomorrow (Friday the 13th) will be the first day in over 10 years that I won’t tweet. Join me. #WomenBoycottTwitter pic.twitter.com/xoEt5Bwj5s
– Alyssa Milano (@Alyssa_Milano) October 13, 2017 Ladies. Let’s do this. #WomenBoycottTwitter . Not because of hate but because I love this platform and know it can be better.
– christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) October 13, 2017 Actors Mark Ruffalo , Terry Crews and Michael Ian Black are among the dozens of men who have pledged to join the virtual #WomenBoycottTwitter demonstration.
I stand with the women. No more tweets for me too. #WomenBoycottTwitter
– terrycrews (@terrycrews) October 13, 2017 Tomorrow I follow the Women. #WomenBoycottTwitter
– Mark Ruffalo (@MarkRuffalo) October 13, 2017 Y’all know I know I’m addicted to this site. I will be joining the boycott. #WomenBoycottTwitter https://t.co/4YMrxneb0C
– Michael Ian Black (@michaelianblack) October 13, 2017 The protest was sparked by Twitter’s temporary suspension of McGowan’s account earlier this week.
So, let me declare to you now. As of 7:28 am on October 13, 2017 I shall not tweet, nor share a singgle blog post on the micro-blogging service for one day.
It should be noted that when a blog post is posted to my wordpress account it is also posted to my Twitter account unless I stop that feature.
It isn’t fare how some women are treated on Twitter and those who say offal things (about weight, looks, and werse things) are given a free pass to continue. So, I shall not tweet for an entire day.